BAH: Naseef Café

Eat breakfast like Middle Eastern royalty!

Here's my last post of 2017! It's said that Naseef Café has been serving one of the best homemade mango ice cream since 1920. In addition, it also serves a particular breakfast set that keeps people coming back for more. My BFF and I had the chance to go to the original branch at Manama Souq.


We actually reached the café at around 12.30pm, unsure whether the breakfast sets would still be served. I couldn't contain a grin the moment the server taking our order said, "Yes, of course!" Pika's advice: I'm not sure if the breakfast sets are served during the later part of the day or whether they'll still be available since a lot of people come for that, so perhaps it's wise to reach there by early afternoon to maximise your chance of getting one.


Flatbread

There were two kinds of flatbread offered: plain and seasoned with what I understand to be something made of fermented fish. The latter was a tad savoury without any fishy smell, and certainly a delight to dip into chickpea curry and foul (Middle Eastern dish of cooked broad beans) shown below.


Breakfast for Two or Three People BHD 7.000 (~S$24.90)
Taste: 8.5/10

Clockwise from the one closest to me in the picture are dry potato curry, chickpea curry, foul, eggs with tomatoes, balaleet (Middle Eastern sweet vermicelli topped with egg) and falafel (Middle Eastern deep-fried balls of chickpeas and broad beans) at the centre, which I enjoyed the most as they were perfectly crunchy outside and beautifully fluffy inside. Anyway, that was my virgin experience with balaleet, which tasted alright, but not something to my fancy.


I'm not trying to exaggerate, but that was the best falafel I've ever had so far. The interior was greenish owing to a blend of herbs.


Naseef's Special Mango Ice Cream BHD 3.000 (~S$10.65)
Taste: 8.5/10

Arranged in a tall glass were mango cubes and slices topped with three scoops of the said ice cream. The fruit was undoubtedly fresh and sweet, although I suppose it'd be better if it were to have a bit of acidity for a good balance. The icy treat was equally sweet and aromatic with a nice texture between that of ice cream and gelato.


Karak Tea BHD 1.000 (~S$3.55)
Taste: 8/10

A portion of karak chai, a kind of milk tea with spices, is good for two people. I recall each of us had two full cups. Served in a dainty teapot, the unsweetened black tea with milk was fragrant, thanks to the amount of cardamom used. To me, a teaspoon of white sugar to each cup was enough to make it delightful.  

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

There's another branch at Seef Mall, which looks quite grand and spacious, though I'm in no capacity to say whether the quality of the food is as great.


Naseef Café

Road No. 3825
Blk. 338 Bldg. 123
Manama
Bahrain
(Daily: 8.00am - 11.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market