MAS: Restoran Panataran

A hole-in-the-wall eatery serving relatively cheap and good lemon chicken~

For our last dinner at the mountainous region, my BFF and I went to the no-frills, yet popular Restoran Panataran just outside Kinabalu Park. There are mixed reviews online regarding the eatery, but I didn't have any unpleasant experience there.


Did you know that Melon loves fried rice? I do too! :P


Lemon Chicken (Small) RM 7.00 (~S$2.25)
Taste: 7.5/10

I used to dislike anything with lemon sauce when I was a little boy, but a turn of tide occurred along the way. I found Panataran's version to be decent as the sauce had a nice sweet and sour balance. The chicken fillets were acceptably tender. For the price, I wouldn't complain at all.


Tahubang Fried Rice RM 13.00 (~S$4.15)
Taste: 7/10

I'm not exactly sure if Tahubang refers to something, apart from the fact that there's an inn called Tahubang Lodge nearby. Anyway, the fried rice was adequately flavourful, but what I really enjoyed was the refreshing acar (lit. pickles). The fried chicken wasn't that moist though.


Panataran Special Fried Mee RM 8.00 (~S$2.55)
Taste: 7.5/10

Still thinking about the delicious fried noodle we had at Liwagu Restaurant, my BFF decided to order a similar dish for dinner. Alas, it wasn't as good, but certainly not too shabby. I didn't expect that it'd be stir-fried with button mushrooms. It came with fried chicken fillets and small crackers that were quite crunchy.


Chicken Porridge RM 6.50 (~S$2.05)
Taste: 7/10

I didn't actually have the chicken porridge for dinner, but for breakfast the following day before returning back to Kota Kinabalu. There wasn't anything special about it, but it was served piping hot and topped with fried shallots that made it aromatic. They weren't stingy on the chicken meat.


Teh Tarik Halia (Hot) RM 2.80 (~S$0.90)
Taste: 6/10

While the sweetness level was just right for me, the milk tea with ginger wasn't thick and foamy enough. The aroma of ginger was quite faint, but detectable. Pika's advice: If, for some reasons, you prefer the cold version, you need to top up RM 0.40 (~S$0.15).

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 4.5/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 6/10

Such a hole-in-the-wall eatery isn't spotless, of course, but at least it's not crammed. See you, Mount Kinabalu!


Restoran Panataran

Jalan Ranau -Tampanuli
Ranau
Malaysia
(Daily: 7.00am - 8.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market