BRN: Pasar Malam Gadong

Have you heard of 'pais daging' before?

Before going back to the hotel to enjoy what we bought from Nasi Katok Mama, my BFF and I dropped by the night market at Gadong. As it caters to mostly locals who drive and do takeaway, there are only very few tables and chairs to sit.


Cucur Pisang B$1.00 (=S$1.00)
Taste: 8/10

I love banana fritters, so I couldn't afford to leave without getting some. For a dollar, I got four big pieces of fried bananas that turned out to be sweet. The batter, which wasn't overly thick, was enjoyably crispy.


Cucur Udang B$1.00 (=S$1.00)
Taste: 7/10

I spent another dollar at the same stall for four pieces of prawn fritters, which weren't as huge as their banana counterparts. There wasn't anything to rave about the savoury snack, but I'd certainly love to get bigger prawns.


Pais Daging B$1.00 (=S$1.00)
Taste: 6/10

I saw a lot of stalls selling pais daging (Bruneian grilled beef originally wrapped in banana leaves). Without exactly knowing what was that, I decided to buy one. The beef tendon and fats were laden with a kind of sticky sauce that was a tad too sweet for my liking.


Kuih Malaya Coklat Cheese (Small) B$2.50 (=S$2.50)
Taste: 7/10

Kuih Malaya, more affectionately known as apam balik here in Singapore, is a type of griddle pancake that's common in Southeast Asia. The chocolate and cheese pancake that I bought wasn't that sweet. I've certainly had a better one elsewhere. 


Bandung Campur B$1.00 (=S$1.00)
Taste: 7/10

Seeing all sorts of colourful drinks being sold, I decided to grab the pink one, only to realise after paying that it might be bandung (Malay drink of rose syrup with condensed milk). Indeed it was, filled with grass jelly cubes, coloured jelly spheres and corn kernels.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10

Pika's advice: It seems that the satay is pretty popular. Unfortunately, they were already sold out when we reached there, so you may want to consider coming to the night market earlier.


Pasar Malam Gadong

Simpang 37
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei
(Daily: 3.00pm - 12 midnight)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)