LAO: Manda De Laos

The best wok-fried assorted mushrooms I've ever eaten till date!

The last dinner that I had in Luang Prabang, Laos, turned out to be a huge astonishment. My BFF and I randomly picked on one of the top five restaurants around, and we landed ourselves at the one with three amazing lotus ponds.


It was a pity that I wasn't with my dear in such a romantic restaurant. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the long dinner with my BFF in such a wonderful, relaxing atmosphere.


Appetiser
Taste: 8/10

Mieng muang luang, a local delicacy of sticky rice paste with pork crackling wrapped with a betel nut leaf, was seerved as an amuse-bouche, It was enjoyably chewy without being overly sticky on the teeth. I put two peanuts on it for an added crunch.


Charcoaled Laap Balls LAK 65,000 (~S$11.25)
Taste: 7/10

We had skewered pork balls to kickstart the long dinner. The meat was mixed with a bit of coriander leaves and spring onions and infused with the aroma of lemongrass before being grilled. While flavourful, they could be juicier. The dipping sauce, featuring tamarind juice and dried chili among others, had a nice balance of flavours.


Buffalo Lao Lao LAK 94,000 (~S$16.30)
Taste: 8/10

I didn't get the chance to drink the local whiskey called Lao Lao, but at least I managed to eat sliced buffalo meat flambéd with it. The red meat wasn't and adequately juicy, going well with rice. I could definitely taste the sweetness from the whiskey, which first 'lao' on the name means alcohol and the second means Laotian.


Spare Ribs LAK 94,000 (~S$16.30)
Taste: 8.5/10

Look at that beautiful primal cut served on top of a banana leaf! The honey-glazed pork ribs topped with crushed black peppers lived up to my expectations as they were fork-tender and succulent. The sauce was just a tad too sweet for my liking, but I could easily brush some of it aside. 


Wok-Fried Mushrooms LAK 42,000 (~S$7.30)
Taste: 9/10

They say too much meat isn't good for you, so we ordered some mushrooms to make ourselves feel less guilty. It was such a superb dish that we just had to have another bowl. Cooked with oyster sauce and seasoned well, the earthy assorted mushrooms were really fresh and juicy. The spring onions made the dish even more aromatic.


Sticky Rice with Tamarind Sauce LAK 55,000 (~S$9.55)
Taste: 8.5/10

Last but not least, the brown sticky rice dessert left quite a deep impression on me. The piping hot sticky rice was well-cooked, topped with sweet shredded coconut. The moderately sour tamarind sauce, being an important element to balance the overall sweetness of the dessert, was thick enough for my liking,  

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 9/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8.5/10

This restaurant is certainly a good place to make a proposal your beloved. Haha... Pika's advice: While the restaurant is operating during lunch and dinner hours, do note that the bar section is open all the way from 12 noon to 12 midnight. 


Manda De Laos

10 Norrassan Road
Luang Prabang
Laos
(Daily: 12 noon - 3.00pm, 6.00pm - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]