FJI: Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant

Where the dishes with coconut milk were good and not sickeningly rich at all~

Here's another eatery that I patronised at Port Denarau Marina: the legendary Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant that was originally located at Nadi Downtown. As my BFF and I reached there before sunset, we seized the opportunity to sit at the al fresco area, on one of the tables next to the sea to be more specific.


I didn't take a picture of the whole coconut by itself, but I must say its juice wasn't only naturally sweet and refreshing, but also somewhat creamy.


Kokoda FJD 19.00 (~S$12.35)
Taste: 9/10

Having read about one of the local perennial favourites, I eventually had the chance to try the fish marinated in a broth of coconut milk and lemon juice. The deep-sea walu (lit. escolar) fish was truly firm and fresh, while the broth was pretty light, but rich in flavours. The salad on the side was fresh too.


Kete Ni Vuaka FJD 38.00 (~S$24.70)
Taste: 8.5/10

Smoked to perfection, the sinful pork belly was aromatic and tasty. It was drenched in homemade tomato-based gravy that was delicious, but perhaps it could be a little bit sourer to balance the sweetness level. The steamed cassava also went well with the gravy. Pika's advice: Not a fan of cassave? You can opt for rice instead. 


Toa Kovu FJD 42.00 (~S$27.35)
Taste: 8/10

The signature dish that took about 40 minutes to prepare turned out to be just slightly underwhelming for the wait, but still good nonetheless. Wrapped in banana leaves, the chicken version that I ordered had tender white meat covered in yellow paste made of ginger, turmeric and onion. I felt that it could be richer in taste and more fragrant as well.


Tavioka Vakalolo FJD 14.50 (~S$9.45)
Taste: 7.5/10

I was vaguely reminded of an Indonesian dessert dish called biji salak (lit. snakefruit seed) upon seeing what was presented to me. Instead of sweet potatoes used in the former, the Fijian version I had that evening apparently used steamed cassava made into chewy balls. The coconut caramel sauce could be more fragrant and devoid of that slightly bitter aftertaste. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

Even though my dessert stomach wished for a better offering, I'd still highly recommend the restaurant. Do see for yourself the wide range of dishes offered. Below is just a shot of the sight to behold as I was enjoying my dinner.


Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant

Port Denarau Marina
Denarau Island
Fiji
(Daily: 7.30am - 1.00am)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)