SIN: Yummy Viet

Delicious BBQ pork chop, but the fried rice wasn't that 'colourful'...

Quite a highly rated Vietnamese eatery online is apparently within a stone's throw away from where I live. Situated on the same stretch as the Chinatown Food Street, it's a simple restaurant with quite a nice modern decor. Since I wasn't too sure what to eat for dinner anyway, I decided to give it a try.


My little cow was so excited to see the colours of the dishes. :)


BBQ Sugar Cane Shrimp Rolls S$6.50
Taste: 8/10

My BFF and I tried the shrimp paste pre-mixed with garlic, wrapped around sugar cane sticks. I relished the sweet and savoury appetiser that had been steamed briefly before grilling, leaving a moist inside with a firmer texture on the outer side. Two sticks weren't enough though for ravenous people like me.


Spicy Beef Noodle Soup S$9.50
Taste: 7.5/10

The rice vermicelli in spicy soup, originating from the city of Hue in central Vietnam, was decent. The balance of sour, salty and spicy was there, but perhaps it could do with a bit more sweetness and a slightly more intense lemongrass aroma. There weren't that many of the beef slices, which could be juicier.


Fried Rice and BBQ Pork Chop S$9.80
Taste: 7.5/10

After finishing the whole thing, which didn't take that long, I realised about my love-hate feeling towards the dish. The BBQ pork chop was awesome - moist, sweet and savoury - even though it was quite oily. On the other hand, the very small portion of fried rice was insipid. Those colours were sort of deceiving. Haha...


Caramel Pudding S$3.90
Taste: 6/10

The dessert didn't quite shine, even though it was certainly more than simply being edible. The caramel sauce was slightly too runny for my liking, even though the level of sweetness was just right. It was also lacking in the burnt aroma I was looking for. As for the custard pudding itself, it could be creamier for sure. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

I sincerely hope that they can improve on the fried rice, so that it can complement the delicious BBQ pork chop well. Pika's advice: The diners seated next to me seemed to be enjoying their Vietnamese version of Mango Salad priced at S$8.90, which is also a recommended dish. You may want to give it a try.

Yummy Viet

28 Smith Street
Singapore
(Daily: 11.00am - 11.00pm)

*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market