HKG: Mak's Noodle (麥奀雲吞麵世家)

Mak's famous wantons in a bowl of beef brisket soup!

Happy Chinese New Year! I shall mark the new year with this one-sentence story of Mak Woon-chi who started his business in the 1960s, once serving his famous wanton noodle to Chiang Kai-shek, the president of the Republic of China. The opening of Mak's Noodle in Singapore had made me realise that I hadn't even stepped into the original eatery in HK before. When I was in HK in last December, I only managed to visit the branch at Victoria Peak.


Melon wasn't exactly looking at the camera. I wonder what she was thinking. Haha... :P


Dumpling Noodle in Soup HK$47.00 (~S$8.50)
Taste: 8/10

Let's talk about the dumpling first before the famous wanton. Each of the big-sized dumpling was filled with juicy minced pork and mushrooms. As for the noodle, it was springy without too much of the alkaline aftertaste. The soup was so-so though, without being too salty.


Wanton and Beef Brisket in Soup HK$49.00 (~S$8.85)
Taste: 8.5/10

I enjoyed the dark-coloured beefy soup that was pretty rich. The brisket was tasty and adequately tender. Each of the wantons, which had soft and silky skin, was filled with bouncy and succulent shrimp. It was such a comforting dish under such a low temperature outside.


Tossed Noodle with Shrimp Roe HK$59.00 (~S$10.65)
Taste: 8/10

This particular dish reminds me of the the one served at the renowned Wong Chi Kei in Macau. To be frank, I prefer the latter. Mak's version wasn't as savoury, but good nonetheless. The oyster sauce didn't have that much flavour, but I didn't mix it thoroughly with the noodle as I feared it'd mask the taste of the roe.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Pika's advice: Do visit the original eatery at 77 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong. Victoria Peak is one of the places in HK that I really love.


I've been to the observation deck quite a few times, each time with at least one different person I'm close with. It was quite misty that evening though.


Mak's Noodle
(麥奀雲吞麵世家)

118 Peak Road
Shop 1, G/F The Peak Galleria
Victoria Peak
Hong Kong
(Daily: 11.00am - 9.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market