SIN: Melite Restaurant

Prawns with buttery, garlicky sauce and heaps of chopped vegetables!

There used to be a restaurant named SUN Asian Bistro in NUS (I'm sure you notice something there!). It was pretty surprising that it was no longer there when I went back to NUS a while ago, being replaced by a new one called Melite Restaurant. Apparently, the interior remains the same, but the menu has changed, presenting more exorbitant items.


Smoked Fish Fillet in Shanghai Style S$10.00
Taste: 5.5/10

The four of us started the meal with an appetiser dish of smoked fish fillet that could be juicier. I noted that each piece had been fried a bit longer than the optimum time, causing the outer layer to be slightly hard and dry. In addition, I found the brown sauce coating each fillet to be too sweet.


Signature Fried Prawns with Chef's Sauce S$36.00
Taste: 8/10

As no descriptions can be found in the menu, we decided to order the signature dish without even asking more about it. The medium-sized prawns, which could be more succulent, were nicely arranged in a circle. The buttery and garlicky sauce was good, complemented with chopped cabbages, carrots and spring onions.


Stewed Chicken in Brown Sauce and Basil Leaves S$18.00
Taste: 8/10

More affectionately known as san bei ji (lit. three-cup chicken), I didn't find any faults on it. The chicken was moist, cooked with adequate amounts of onions that lent their natural sweetness, as well as basil leaves that exuded heady fragrance. The brown sauce was also sticky enough for my liking.


Braised Tofu with Crab Meat Sauce S$16.00
Taste: 6/10

To be frank, I didn't expect the overall colour of the dish to be yellow. Did you? There wasn't any turmeric aroma, so I was utterly puzzled by the appearance of it. While the tofu was velvety, bathed in hardly decipherable sauce that was thick enough, I couldn't really taste any crab meat. 


Stir-Fried Mixed Vegetables with Fungus S$10.00
Taste: 7.5/10

The colourful array of fresh vegetables was stir-fried pretty well. It wasn't too oily, but it could definitely be seasoned better. Should you ask me to choose my favourite item in the dish, I suppose my answer would be the mushrooms that were adequately juicy. Still, I believe I can do a better job cooking this particular dish.


Boiled Glutinous Rice Balls with Rice Wine S$4.00
Taste: 4/10

The dessert, unfortunately, failed to impress me. It not only came out at room temperature (either warm or cold would be good for me), but also carried only a few glutinous rice balls that weren't even chewy. The expected aroma of rice wine couldn't really be detected, if at all.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 6.5/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Considering that the food weren't value-for-money, I don't think I'd ever make a return trip. The ambience the other day, however, was relaxing, truly conducive for catching up with friends. Pika's advice: For those who're interested, you may want to check out the Set Meals crafted by the restaurant for 2, 4, 6 and 10 pax respectively.

Melite Restaurant

304 Orchard Road
#04-25 Lucky Plaza
Singapore
(Daily: 12 noon - 9.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]