MMR: Business Alliance Hotel [Breakfast]

Something like 'laksa bangka' in Yangon, Myanmar!

Business Alliance Hotel (3*) is a small hotel located near the most revered Shwedagon Pagoda. It's exactly due to its proximity to the iconic gilded stupa that I decided to book a room there for my very first trip to country's largest city with a population of over five million.


Local Noodle

As there wasn't any description of the dish available, I made a guess on the spot that it was a local dish. Different from mohinga, the national dish of the country as described in the post on Monsoon Restaurant, the soup surprisingly tasted like laksa bangka (Indonesian creamy noodle dish with shredded mackerels from the Bangka province). The noodle seemed to be more like pasta in terms of texture, but it wasn't a bad thing, topped with a kind of crackers, sliced onions, chili flakes and a dash of lime. I truly enjoyed it till the last drop.


Assorted Stuff #1

The fried rice was accompanied by addictively crunchy wantons with presumably chicken fillings, as well as stir-fried beef that was far from being tough, but bursting with sweet and salty flavours. I just couldn't resist taking the freshly fried wantons again and again for myself.


Assorted Stuff #2

Before sitting down, one of the servers asked me if I'd like to have eggs. I ordered scrambled eggs, which turned out to be quite moist, but they didn't have the creamy texture I was looking for. The vegetables for the salad were acceptably fresh, served with Thousand Island dressing. I'm never a fan of french toast, but I took two pieces anyway; they weren't soggy at least.


Omelette

Cooked upon order as well, my BFF's omelette appeared to be a flat thin disc with sparsely distributed chili slices and chopped spring onions. It was ordinary, bordering on the dry side.


Fruits

While the papaya slices were enjoyably sweet, they were slightly mushy. On the other hand, the flesh of the pomelo was leaning more towards the sour side.


Cordial Drinks

Alas, both the mango cordial drink and the fruit punch were too sweet for my liking. Pika's advice: Stay away from them if you can't stand overly sweet beverages. The second breakfast that I had there featured another flavoured cordial drink that was too sweet as well. 


Tea

A strong black tea was all I need to wash the sweetness down the throat.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Overall: 7/10

I really enjoyed the noodle dish to the point that I had two servings of it. Well, it was a short 3D2N trip, so these are all the Burmese food I can present for now. As I waited for the flight to take me home, with Melon sitting on my lap, I felt grateful for the hospitality rendered by the people I met there, from servers to taxi drivers. Thank you for everything!


Business Alliance Hotel

126/A Dhammazedi Road
Yangon
Myanmar
(Daily: 6.00am - 10.00am)

*No separate price given as buffet breakfast is included in the room price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market