MAS: Malaysia Airlines [Business, International, Short-Haul]

Burnt sugar cake and 'teh tarik' that made a good end!

Two years after I flew Malaysia Airlines for the first time to Osaka, Japan (read here), I decided to give it a try again for my short trip to Yangon, Myanmar. Ever since the introduction of MHUpgrade, a platform that allows passengers to offer a bid for an upgrade to the next higher class, I've always wanted to try my hands on it. 


Alas, it turned out that there was something wrong with the MHUpgrade system that didn't allow anyone to make a bid at that period of time. The disappointment didn't last long though, for I managed to pay for an upgrade at MH Satellite Golden Lounge at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, what I thought to be a real bargain. 


Welcome Drink

It was the usual apple juice for me, and orange juice for my BFF. A wet towel was handed out immediately after the drink was offered. Following which, an amiable flight attendant of Indian descent called me by name to take my order for lunch.




MH Meal

Otak-otak - Taste: 8.5/10

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before in the blog, but I don't usually go all out to hunt for the Peranakan fish cake. The one served onboard, however, was delicious. Its richness that came from coconut milk was well-balanced by lemon juice that made it dreamily moist. The pickled cucumbers and pineapples further enhanced the freshness of the appetiser as a whole.

Chicken Makhani - Taste: 8/10

For the main course, I went for the Indian chicken cooked with cinnamon, cloves, nutmegs, ginger and garlic, which was adequately tender. The cumin rice was more or less aromatic, complemented with mildly seasoned lentils and broccoli fritters that had become soft as expected.

Braised Lamb Cutlet - Taste: 6/10

The adequately fatty and sinewy lamb cutlet was doused in brown sauce that used oyster sauce as its prime composition. It was unfortunate that the steamed rice was a little bit hard, not to mention the vegetables that were overcooked, save for the carrot slices that were pretty sweet.

Garlic Bread - Taste: 7/10

From the bread basket, I just asked for two pieces of garlic bread. Both were truly buttery and garlicky, but they weren't crispy.

Kek Gula Hangus - Taste: 9/10

A lovely local treat for dessert, the slightly chewy cake made from caramelised sugar was airy and moist. It was served with mocha sauce infused with cinnamon for an added aroma.

Teh Tarik - Taste: 8.5/10

Literally meaning 'pulled tea', derived from the pouring process in the preparation of the drink, the milk tea was delightfully thick and frothy. It did get just a tad too sweet towards the end, but I must say that it was one of the best teh tarik I've ever had in my life.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10

It was a pleasant flight that was just less than 3 hours. In fact, we reached our destination slightly ahead of time. Pika's advice: Be informed that it depends on luck whether you'll get to see IFE (In-Flight Entertainment) in MH's Boeing B737-800.

Malaysia Airlines

Business Class Cabin
Boeing 737-800


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]