VIE: Vietnam Airlines VN661 (Business)

Mouth-watering appetiser of smoked salmon and caviar!

Truth be told, the haze in Hanoi, Vietnam was suffocating. For someone who likes to explore by walking, I considered it to be a waste of opportunities that I had to grab a cab twice during my stay in the city. However, even though I was relieved on the last day that I'd be breathing clean air again soon, I started to miss the city with its warm hospitality.


Well, that wasn't entirely the end. A warm, personal smile greeted me as I stepped into the aeroplane that'd take me home.


Welcome Drink

"Red wine, white wine or champagne for you?" More often than not, I'm actually not in the mood to drink any of those onboard. Of course, the flight attendant had a few glasses of fruit juice ready as well. It was orange juice for me, and apple juice for my BFF. A wet towel was given to each passenger before take-off.


VN Snack

As soon as the seat belt sign was turned off, each of us was given a packet of roasted mixed nuts. To go with it, I asked for a glass of apple juice with ice.





VN Meal

Salad with Smoked Salmon and Caviar - Taste: 8/10

Sitting on fresh leafy greens were nicely cured smoked salmon and caviar, which degree of saltiness was just nice. The slightly spicy dollop of paste that was placed on top of an onion cut didn't quite impress me though, for it tasted not-so-pleasantly unique.

Salad BowlTaste: 8/10

More vegetables? Sure! They were of adequate freshness, served with tangy Italian dressing on the side. The big cucumber slices could be juicier though.

Seafood Pasta with Snap Peas - Taste: 7.5/10

Cooked in mild tomato sauce were a combination of shrimps, squid rings and scallops; all of which exuded their natural sweetness. The crunchy snap peas were equally sweet as well, providing a contrast to the spaghetti that could be more al dente for a better overall.

Beef and Steamed Vegetables with Rice - Taste: 7.5/10

Those who read my review on the Economy Class meal would've probably noticed the same name of the dish, Similarly cooked in oyster sauce, the beef slices served on the return flight were decidedly juicier, even though they could still be leaning more towards the tender side. The rice was cooked well, and the vegetables weren't mushy.

Bread

I was offered a variety of bread by the flight attendant. Initially I was just thinking of getting slices of garlic bread, but she persuaded me to get another one, which was presumably made of sourdough. Both were enjoyably crispy, with the former being highly buttery with a nice garlic aroma. 

Fruits

Presented on the small bowl were a slice of papaya, watermelon and dragon fruit each. All of them were adequately sweet and juicy.

Beverages

From the usual selections of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, I just asked for a refill of apple juice. After the main course was done, I chose tea over coffee, which turned out to be delightfully robust. Served together was a glass of plain water.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10

Even though the seat couldn't lie flat, it was definitely comfortable enough for me to take a nap for about an hour. When I woke up, I was immediately offered plain water - just what I needed - to refresh myself. One thing noted is that none of the flight attendants addressed us personally by name. Another is the fact that there wasn't a menu card at sight. I believe Vietnam Airlines has the potential to grow further, and I'm interested to fly with the carrier again in the future. Pika's advice: Let's fly on a long-haul flight in order to try their IFE (In-Flight Entertainment)!

Vietnam Airlines

Business Class Cabin
Airbus 321-200


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)