SIN: Wu Ke Shu @ Satay by the Bay

Tender chicken satay with a waterfront view!

Surrounded by lush greenery which faces a waterfront is a food court called Satay by the Bay, which features not only traditional satay, but also other local fares. It's said to be reminiscent of the old Satay Club, which last year of operation was back in 2005. I don't have the privilege of nostalgia here, but I did enjoy the atmosphere while having skewered goods from 五棵树 (lit. 'five trees'), a Hainanese satay stall.


Couple Set S$15.00

The set consists of ten sticks of satay of choice (chicken, beef, pork or mutton), two sticks of pork belly, two BBQ prawns and two small ketupat (Indonesian/Malay rice dumpling). Before I forget, I'd like to clarify that my BFF, who came with me for dinner, is definitely not my honey. However, we went ahead with the set for two people. Haha... 


Chicken Satay (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

We opted for the skewered chicken meat which was really tender. I was glad to find that the marinade wasn't too sweet. The accompanying peanut sauce wasn't either, being thick and highly chunky, while the ketupat was dense enough. Having said that, I still prefer Indonesian style stays which are more savoury than sweet though.


Pork Belly (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

I guess my expectation of the skewered pork belly was too high, for I found them to be lacking in the much anticipated melt-in-the-mouth quality as the fat contents were too low. While not as tender as their chicken counterparts, they were adequately juicy.

BBQ Prawn (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

The prawns were seasoned with salt and pepper. While they were savoury enough, we agreed that they could definitely be sweeter and more luscious. Their size didn't disappoint at all though.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

I believe the low wooden tables and stools are the features that bring back fond memories of the old Satay Club. Pika's advice: If you're too lazy to walk to Satay by the Bay, make use of the free shuttle bus service! Take note that it's only available on weekdays from 6.00pm to 11.30pm.


Wu Ke Shu @ Satay by the Bay

18 Marina Gardens Drive
#01-19 Satay by the Bay
Singapore
(Daily: 8.00am - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Martin said…
After watching the battle between Wu Ke Shu and Kwong satay, I went to try out Wu Ke Shu. I'm very disappointed, Do WKS knows what they are selling? WKS talk so much about their gravy during the show, but when I order 20 sticks of satay, 2 BBq prawn and a rice cake. I was given 2 small, half filled Styrofoam bowl of gravy. Why are WKS so stingy about giving more gravy? Mybe a 3 quarter full medium size bowl. As for satay we need the kick from the peanut and pineapple gravy. What they are giving now for foreigner is ok, but for local "Lau Bak Sai" tearing in hokkien. There is no way I'm going back to WKS again unless they improve.

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market