HKG: Tasty Congee & Noodle Wantun Shop (正斗粥麵專家)

Award-winning noodles in soup with fresh shrimp wanton!

On the third day of the short trip down the memory lane to HK, I decided to have lunch at a restaurant I missed during my student exchange days. Still listed this year under the Bib Gourmand category of the 2014 Michelin Guide, it has been awarded the Best of the Best Culinary Award - Gold with Distinction Award from the Hong Kong Tourism Board for its wanton noodles.


House Specialty Wanton Noodles in Soup (Small) HK$38.00 (~S$6.15)
Taste: 8.5/10

As I intended to try a few things, I decided to order the small portion of the legendary noodles in soup. I enjoyed the thin, springy and crunchy noodles. The shrimp wantons were fresh, but somewhat lacking in the natural sweetness I'd been expecting. Overall, it was delectable, but I don't think it was the best. Pika's advice: I believe you won't regret grabbing the large portion for only HK$52.00 (~S$8.40)!


Field Frog and Chicken Congee HK$85.00 (~S$13.75)
Taste: 8.5/10

The thick porridge was cooked in flavourful broth, garnished with spring onions. I was glad that the frog was meaty enough, while the chicken was tender. On top of that, there was a juicy mushroom which might seem out of place at first, but it soon proved the truth of the proverb: "the more the merrier".


Stir-Fried Rice Noodles with Beef HK$100.00 (~S$16.15)
Taste: 8/10

The flat rice noodles weren't exactly packed with flavours, although the chewiness was more than acceptable. However, the charm actually lied on the tenderloin beef slices which were, well, tender and juicy enough. There were lots of spring onions thrown into the dish, which made it pretty aromatic.


Fish Carp Skin with Ginger and Spring Onions HK$52.00 (~S$8.40)
Taste: 7/10

Supposedly an appetiser dish, I ordered the fish carp skin after I had finished the main courses. The chewy, yet crunchy texture of the skin was exciting, even though it could've been marinated better. While the crunchy peanuts provided a contrasting texture to the fish skin, there was simply an inadequate amount of ginger.


Osmanthus Jelly with Medlar HK$28.00 (~S$4.50)
Taste: 7.5/10

I've tried quite a few different versions of this particular dessert dish, and I found that Tasty's version didn't quite shine. While the jelly wasn't exceedingly firm or overly soft, somehow I felt that its sweetness wasn't that down-to-earth. The aroma was there, but it could be stronger.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

Service was quick without many words being said. I didn't mind that, as long as I could get the dishes delivered to me without much delay. However, I had to wait for quite some time to get my bill. Anyway, if you're looking for nice, reasonably-priced food in the high-end IFC Mall, do drop by this particular restaurant.

Tasty Congee & Noodle Wantun Shop
(正斗粥麵專家)

8 Finance Street
Shop 3016-3018, 3/F IFC Mall
Central
Hong Kong
(Daily: 11.00am - 11.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market