SIN: C-Jade HK Café IN {CLOSED}

Customisable HK cart noodle here in Singapore!

UPDATE (08/11/2016): The café has closed down.

December is finally here! As I reminisced the good old days during my exchange in HK, I stepped into C-Jade HK Café IN in Bugis+. Till this very day, I can vividly recall how good the canteen food was, and to my delight, cart noodle is among the café's wide selection of local delicacies. Also, I was craving for steamed rice that day.


With every purchase of a main course, you can make it a Set Lunch for $4.00 or a Set Dinner for $5.00, of course depending on which time of the day you're there. Both comprise a bowl of soup, a biscuit and a beverage.


Old Time HK Biscuit (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

A nostalgic snack, the two slightly salty biscuits were balanced by the enjoyably sweet and sticky malt sugar sandwiched in between.


Soup of the Day (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

Minestrone soup is a perennial favourite in HK, so it was no surprise at all to get it as the soup of the day. I pretty much enjoyed the sweet and sour balance of the vegetable soup, but it was served lukewarm.


HK Cart Noodle S$4.00 + S$4.20
Taste: 8/10

The $4.00 dish came with basic ingredients of noodle (yellow, instant or vermicelli), bok choy (Chinese cabbage), fried beancurd and egg. The additional ingredients ordered were seaweed, cuttlefish, pig's skin (S$0.80 each), as well as the $1.80 pork chop. I enjoyed the chewy yellow noodle which was adequately thick. While the soup was leaning more towards the thin side, but it was still good and slightly spicy. The cuttlefish wasn't rubbery at all, while the pork chop could be juicier. You may want to revisit the one that I tried in the HKUST canteen by clicking here!


Steamed Rice with Chicken Feet and Soft Pork Bone in Wooden Pot S$7.80
Taste: 8/10

Yes, that's a long name. While the rice wasn't as fluffy as it could be, the soft pork bone made up for it with its tender meat and savoury taste. The chicken feet, despite their delightful gelatinous texture, could be more flavourful. Steamed rice was one of my favourite dishes in HKUST, and you may want to revisit it by clicking here.


Water Chestnut with Wolfberry Cake (3pcs) S$3.00
Taste: 7.5/10

Priced at $1.00 per piece, the jelly cubes were adequately firm, but they could be sweeter and more fragrant for sure. One plus point was that they were pretty generous with the water chestnuts and wolfberries. Seeing the picture again reminds me of the ones I had in the original Tim Ho Wan.


Chin-Chow with Longan and Honey S$15.00
Taste: 6/10

Unfortunately, I chose a beverage that wasn't inspiring as it wasn't fragrant, even though there were enough shredded grass jelly inside. It came with only two longans; I was expecting at least three of them.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Let's be frank here; while the dishes I tried weren't as good as those in HK, they were pretty decent. More importantly, they managed to  Pika's advice: One of the signature dishes is D.I.Y. Braised Rice. You may want to give that a try! At that time I was kinda rushing, so I didn't try it as it'd take quite some time for the rice and other ingredients to cook.

C-Jade HK Café IN

201 Victoria Street
#04-05 Bugis+
Singapore
(Daily: 11.00am - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)