JPN: Ekiben @ Kyoto Station

Vegetables galore during my Shinkansen ride to Tokyo!

Just like most tourists coming to Japan, I succumbed to the temptation of ekiben, a term used to which refers to boxed meals sold in railway stations throughout the country. On my trip from Kyoto to Tokyo via the bullet train known as Shinkansen, I enjoyed my lunch which I got from one of the shops in Kyoto station (which, unfortunately, I have no idea how to describe the location).


Naniwa Mansai ¥1,000 (~S$12.35)
Taste: 7.5/10

Having a total amount of energy of 643 kcal, the menu is written as なにわ満載 in Japanese. Two types of rice balls were included: plain and flavoured. The latter was slightly sweet and salty. What I found to be pretty tasty was the fried udon (Japanese wheat-flour noodle). Many vegetables were featured in this box where most of them were pretty sweet, but somewhat lacking in juiciness.


Kyo no Obanzai ¥1,000 (~S$12.35)
Taste: 8/10

Having a total amount of energy of 676 kcal, the menu is written as 京のおばんざい in Japanese. The vegetables in this box were fresher than those in the box described above. In addition, there were chicken, prawn and fish to give me that boost of proteins. On top of the short-grain rice were savoury anchovies and slices of preserved red ginger. The fried glass noodle was pretty chewy and enjoyable.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10

I suspect the shop where I bought the ekiben from, just like most of this kind of shops, doesn't have a specific name. Thus, I'm going to show you a picture of the shop. Pika's advice: There are cheaper ekiben available at the shop. If I'm not mistaken, the most expensive one costs ¥1,500 (~S$18.55).


'Ekiben from Kyoto Station'

Higashi-Shiokoji
Shimogyo, Kyoto
Japan
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market