JPN: Kukuru (くくる)

Creamy octopus balls rich in taurine!

Thanks to the Japan Rail pass that allowed me to travel from Nara to Osaka in no time, I managed to cover the iconic Osaka Castle on the same day. The evening was spent wandering around the famous Dotonbori area. Immersed in the lively atmosphere with illuminated signboards and neon lights everywhere, I stopped by at one of the most popular takoyaki (Japanese octopus balls) shops.


Look at that giant octopus sign! Actually I'm not so crazy about takoyaki (and neither is Melon, if you get what I'm trying to say), but I just had to give it a try.


Takoyaki (8 pcs) ¥520 (~S$6.60)
Taste: 8/10

I ordered the original takoyaki which came without any toppings. Dark sauce, mayonnaise and katsuobushi (Japanese dried bonito flakes) are placed on each and every table for customers to add according to their preferences. Freshly made upon order, the balls had an adequately firm skin to hold the soft and creamy inside. How about the taurine-rich cephalopod inside?


The size of the chopped tentacle was decent, but it could definitely be chewier. I'd also love to have a bit more spring onions inside.


Pika's advice: Craving for bigger tentacles? Perhaps you may want to give the above bikkuri (lit. surprise) takoyaki a try!

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7.5/10

The eatery offers other variations of takoyaki I have yet to try. Perhaps I shall drop by again this coming December.

Kukuru
(くくる)

1-10-5 Dotonbori
Chuo, Osaka
Japan
(Mon-Fri: 12 noon - 11.00pm; Sat: 11.00am - 11.00pm; Sun: 11.00am - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]