TWN: Raohe Night Market

How good is the famed black pepper bun?

Today's review is on one of the oldest night markets in Taipei, specifically located within the Songshan District and is just a stone's throw away from Wufenpu wholesale market. I must say that the food did look the most appetising there out of the three night markets I visited during my short stay in Taiwan.


"Don't miss the black pepper bun!" said one of my friends when I told him I was going to drop by the night market. Located at one of the entrances, the famous stall could be spotted clearly, especially by the perpetual long queue. 


Black Pepper Bun
Taste: 9/10

The charcoal-baked bun was indeed heavenly due to its crispy crust and the smoky aroma emanating from it. The filling comprised juicy pork and chopped spring onions which added to the fragrance. Having said that, it could definitely have more black pepper.


Are you a fan of herbal stuff? I am! A lot of people were spotted at this particular stall as well.


Herbal Pork Ribs Soup
Taste: 9/10

That bowl of herbal pork ribs soup was one of the best I've ever had in my life. It not only carried with it a pretty strong herbal taste, but also a clean, delectable sweetness to die for. The pork ribs were juicy and fall-off-the-bone tender.


Care to make a guess of the two items I got from that particular stall?


Stinky Tofu
Taste: 8/10

It was my very first time trying the so-called stinky tofu, which apparently tasted very familiar. Why? The dish somewhat resembled tahu gejrot, a characteristic food from Cirebon in Indonesia comprising fried tofu in marinade sauce, so it didn't come as a surprise at all. While the tofu was pretty airy, the sauce could be more flavourful. On top were slices of preserved cabbages of adequate acidity.


Oyster Omelette
Taste: 7/10

The highly chewy omelette had adequate oysters which were, sadly, not as plump as i thought they'd be. Having said that, they were pretty juicy without any fishy smell. I couldn't really make out the identity of the red sauce, but it was just a little bit sweet with no particular fragrance.


My BFF loves QQ stuff!


QQ Red/Green Bean Balls
Taste: 8/10

The chewiness of the red and green bean balls was there, but didn't quite match that of gummy bears. I enjoyed the red bean ones more than their green bean counterparts as the latter wasn't sweet enough.


Finally, I just grabbed one drink before I left the night market.


Wintermelon Pearl Milk Tea
Taste: 7.5/10

While the milk tea was pretty sweet and full of wintermelon goodness, I found that the pearls were a tad too sweet. Moreover, it'd be more enjoyable if it were colder.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10

Yeah, Raohe Night Market is by far my most favourite. Anyone planning to fly to Taipei, please let me tag along! Pika's advice: I also tried you tiao (Chinese cruller) which I forgot to snap a picture, but it really wasn't good as it was crispy like crackers without much taste! You can try to find it if you don't believe me. Haha...

Raohe Night Market

Raohe Street
Taipei
Taiwan
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)

*Sorry that I'm not quoting prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)