SIN: Tung Lok Signatures

Sesame balls with an awesome filling! :)

With the end of the Bioinorganic Chemistry exam I sat for yesterday, I have finally completed my Chemistry related education in NUS, left with an English linguistics exam next week. To celebrate, I shall present you a review on one of the restaurants owned by the Tung Lok group. Let's start with a simple quiz: care to guess the filling of the sesame balls shown below? 


One hint: the filling served in this restaurant is yellow in colour. Oh, I have to say, "Sorry, no prize for guessing!" :P


Appetiser
Taste: 7/10

Pickled radish cubes sprinkled with a bit of sesame seeds were served as a preliminary appetiser. They were pretty sweet and crunchy, but in my opinion, they could be juicier.


Deep-Fried Silver Bait with Seven Spices S$8.00
Taste: 8/10

Served piping hot, the deep-fried white meat species were delightfully crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. To be honest, I couldn't really taste many spices from this particular appetiser. Perhaps the spices were just too subtle in taste and aroma, but the dish was nicely seasoned with salt and pepper.


Deep-Fried Bull Frogs with Minced Garlic and Salted Pepper S$24.00
Taste: 7/10

Until this very day, I've never found a really good deep-fried frogs dish in Singapore. To be fair, I enjoyed the savoury and garlicky flavour coating the frogs, but I felt that the batter was a tad too thick. How I wished they could be crunchy. I've also had juicier frog meat elsewhere, especially in Indonesia.


Signatures Curry Prawns with Fried Buns S$28.00
Taste: 8/10

With the word 'signatures' attached to the name of the dish, surely it has got to be one of the chef's recommendation, right? The curry was really aromatic, although it could be less watery. The prawns swimming inside were pretty big and adequately succulent. I was glad that the fried buns weren't oily.


Braised Homemade Beancurd with Wild Fungus and Conpoy Crisps S$20.00
Taste: 9/10

I was pretty much awed by this particular non-meat dish. Soft beancurd cubes layered with seaweed on top were contrasted in texture by crunchy kailan (Chinese broccoli) and complemented by juicy white shimeji mushrooms. The conpoy crisps and the oyster sauce were tasty.


Signatures Hot Stone Pot Rice S$20.00
Taste: 8/10

To fulfil my carbohydrate needs, I went for the hot stone pot rice which had chicken cubes, preserved meat, mushrooms and lots of spring onions. The dish was fragrant with all the ingredients blending together to give a savoury sensation on the tongue and the rice being pretty fluffy.


Deep-Fried Sesame Balls with Salted Egg Yolk Filling S$4.50
Taste: 9/10

Did you get the right answer? Encased within each crispy skin was a dollop of creamy egg yolk filling which tantalised my taste buds. It'd, however, be perfect if the filling could be a bit saltier to further balance the luscious sweetness. Pika's advice: Be careful when you eat these because the egg yolk filling may be hot!

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

I've heard people mentioning that their roasted pork belly were really nice and crispy. It was a pity that they ran out of them that day.

Tung Lok Signatures

1 HarbourFront Walk
#01-57 VivoCity
Singapore
(Mon-Sat: 11.30am - 3.00pm, 6.00pm - 10.30pm; Sun: 11.00am - 3.30pm, 6.00pm - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)