SIN: Gourmet Culture Bistro Bar {CLOSED}

Eggs Benedict without Hollandaise sauce? :O

UPDATE (23/04/2017): The eatery has closed down.

Has anyone noticed that there's a street called HongKong Street in Singapore? I was walking around Clarke Quay area when I stumbled upon the street, which immediately brought back all the memories of the exchange programme. Since I was already there, I thought I ought to grab something to eat for lunch. As I saw this particular bistro on the 1st floor of Fragrance Hotel which serves all-day brunch menu, I went in.


All American Favourite S$8.90
Taste: 4.5/10

When such a dull-looking main course was served on the table, I could already imagine how it'd taste. While the egg yolk was still a little bit runny, the English muffins were a bit stale. The sautéed mushrooms weren't really juicy, while the coleslaw and sausages were alright, but not at all special.


Eggs Benedict S$8.90
Taste: 4.5/10

"Where is that creamy, golden sauce!?" was in my mind when I saw at the plate in disbelief. Man, you should totally change the name of the dish if you're persistent on not serving Hollandaise sauce. Anyway, there were similar eggs, muffins and coleslaw, with the addition of uninspiring hams and dry cheese. Pika's advice: You should argue with them with regard to Hollandaise sauce. I heard someone did and he managed to get a free beverage in return. Haha...


Bananas on Pancakes with Ice Cream S$6.90
Taste: 5.5/10

Out-of-shape pancakes, a weird-looking ice cream scoop and a few slices of bananas; food art is seriously missing in this bistro. While you couldn't go really wrong with pancakes, the only saving grace was the maple syrup which, unfortunately, was given only in a small amount.


Homemade Carrot Cake S$5.90
Taste: 7/10

To be fair, the carrot cake was pretty much edible. The icing wasn't overly sweet, and I could (and I'm sure you can) really see bits of carrots studded in the cake. Topped with cashew nuts, it somehow managed to make me happier, no matter how slightly.


Mocha S$4.00
Taste: 7/10

Served lukewarm, the coffee was leaning towards the strong side a little bit with non-faulty fragrance of mocha. I was also glad that it was adequately frothy. I could have two more glasses of it instead of having the non-value-for-money Eggs Benedict.

 

Iced Green Tea Latte S$4.90
Taste: 5/10

Judging from its looks alone, I could already tell that it was pretty much diluted. Indeed, while I could sense the aroma of green tea, it was just too watery to be enjoyable.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 5.5/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Service: 4/10
Overall: 5.5/10

While the server wasn't rude, I just couldn't really stand his laid-back attitude. With such a standard of food, I won't return for sure. Still, since I managed to finish my meal, I'm not giving anything below 4/10 for taste.

Gourmet Culture Bistro Bar

20 HongKong Street
#01-03 Fragrance Hotel
Singapore
(Mon-Fri: 8.00am - 11.00pm; Sat-Sun: 8.00am - 1.00am)

*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market