SIN: Singapore Airlines [Economy, International, Short-Haul]

Sweet Singapore Sling onboard!

I've been flying with SQ for the past 7 years or so, and no doubt, it's still one of my most favourite airlines to date. It was the medium-haul flight to HK (brunch menu) which marked the start of my journey as an exchange student that I'm going to share with you today, as well as the short-haul flight to Jakarta (breakfast menu) which ended it all to showcase the catering in Singapore.


Well, how time flies! Honestly, I still can't help but reminisce on all the fun and excitement during the exchange programme whenever I'm doing experiments in the laboratory for my Honours project. Oh well, good memories last forever. Look, my chubby Pikachu was ready to gobble everything!




SQ Meal #1

Fruit Appetiser

I've always noticed the combination of watermelons, pineapples and green apples, served to give a round-up sweet and sour mix to whet the appetite, I suppose. Anyway, all of them were pretty fresh. I'm just not very fond of eating green apples alone; I prefer them in, say, apple pies!

Scrambled Egg with Veal Sausage, Cherry Tomato and Potatoes - Taste: 8/10

Probably one of the most common main courses served for breakfast or brunch I've encountered onboard SQ, this particular dish has never changed. The scrambled egg was pretty creamy and milky, and the veal sausage had the fatty feel which was savoury, but not at all sickening. The tomato was bursting with juice, but it wasn't that sweet. Well, no comments required for the ubiquitous hash browns.

Steamed Ginger Marinated Chicken with Shiitake Mushroom, Stir-Fried Vegetables and Jasmine Rice - Taste: 8.5/10

The other main course of chicken was really tender, luscious with an appetising fragrance of ginger which wasn't overpowering. Besides that, the stir-fried vegetables weren't oily, and the shiitake mushroom was pretty big and juicy. Everyhing went well with the fluffy rice which, sadly, wasn't as aromatic as I'd expected it to be. There was a time when I also had jasmine rice onboard SQ, and it was magnificent.

Strawberry Cream Mousse - Taste: 8.5/10

The strawberry mousse was airy and creamy without being too heavy. It wasn't outrageously sweet either. On top was a thin layer of strawberry jelly which provided a contrast to the texture of the mousse, no matter how slightly.

Bread

The wholemeal roll was pretty soft inside, but I found that the outside was a bit too dry. It came with butter and strawberry jam.

Beverages: Singapore Sling - Taste: 7.5/10

Apéritifs, spirits, liqueurs, wines, beers, cocktails, mocktails, fruit juices, soft drinks and even sweetened or unsweetened soya bean milk; can the list get any longer? Anyway, it'd been a long while since I tried their Singapore Sling the last time, probably 3 years ago, thus I requested for it. I've always loved the zesty blend of pineapple and cherry, but the one served the other day was a bit too sweet. Other than that, I also had a glass of apple juice and a cup of Chinese tea which was bitter, yet aromatic.



SQ Meal #2

Fruit Appetiser

It was no difference from the one served in the SIN-HKG sector mentioned above, so I shall skip this one.

Stir-Fried Noodle with Chicken - Taste: 7/10

Frankly speaking, I found it surprising that both of the main courses were chicken-based. Certainly, it was no less amusing to see how the flight attendants kept repeating themselves to the passengers that there wasn't any other meat available, unless one had opted for a seafood dish beforehand. Anyway, there wasn't anything special with the noodle. It wasn't that greasy, but it also lacked the chewy quality. The chicken, cooked in soy sauce, was pretty tender though.

Croissant Sandwich with Chicken Sausage and Spinach - Taste: 7.5/10

I admit that the croissant was crispy, but it was really buttery. Sandwiched between were two slices of tomatoes and melted cheese. The chicken sausage was kinda similar to the veal one, but the latter had more of the fatty feel. It was also a delight to have the spinach cooked in butter and milk sauce.

Beverages

Pre-packed orange juice was given together with the meal, followed by coffee and/or tea. The tea was strong.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10

The ratings for ambience and service were based on the SIN-HKG sector with the super jumbo Airbus A380-800. At that time, I booked a seat on the upper deck with its 2-4-2 configuration. The cabin was pretty quiet, and I was really fond of one of the flight attendants who was young and charismatic, despite the fact that he's only joined SQ 3 years ago. I wouldn't say service is exemplary in the Economy Class, but it's definitely better than most airlines in the world. The attention to details is one of the reasons why I choose to become a KrisFlyer member! Pika's advice: Not related to food in any way, but if you're still collecting playing cards, SQ offers them for free till this very day!

Singapore Airlines

Economy Class Cabin
Airbus 380-800


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market