HKG: Greyhound Café

Refreshing coconut ice sherbet!

I know I should've dined at Greyhound Café when I was in its country of origin, Thailand, for a short getaway. Well, I didn't manage to get my dose of coconut ice sherbet when I was in Bangkok the other day, so I had no choice but to have my revenge when I returned to HK. As mentioned in the menu, the eatery "is not a traditional Thai restaurant", and their food concept is about "adopting and adapting, mixing and matching, and in many cases - they are a mismatch!"

 

Fried Tiger Prawns with Thai Spices and Rice HK$148.00 (~S$24.65)
Taste: 6.5/10

I had a high expectation for the dish, but it turned out to be more of a disappointment. The prawns lacked the springy firmness I was looking for, and they weren't that juicy either. However, I have to say that they were toseed with lots of garlic and pepper which gave off an appetising aroma. The clear soup, with a bit of cabbage, was quite flavourful.

 

Thai Braised Beef Noodle Soup with Beef Balls HK$78.00 (~S$13.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

I enjoyed the flat noodle (not sure what it's called in Thai) with its delightful, chewy texture. The soup had quite a strong beef aroma with a hint of sweetness, but I suppose it'd be much better had it be a bit thicker. The beef wasn't throroughly tender, but the beef balls were meaty and tasty.


Banana and Nutella Cheesecake HK$58.00 (~S$9.65)
Taste: 7/10

The cheesecake I chose was okay, but not awesome. Although the texture was quite nice without being too hard, the taste became pretty flat towards the end. Also, how I wish I could have more of the Nutella hazelnut spread!

 

Coconut Ice Sherbet HK$38.00 (~S$6.30)
Taste: 8.5/10

Made of real coconut juice, the sherbet was really refreshing. It wasn't too sweet, and better still, young coconut meat was added into the sherbet. Well, nothing much to say; it's a must try!

 

Thai Iced Tea with Milk HK$36.00 (~S$6.00)
Taste: 8/10

And the meal ended with yet another refreshing stuff... The beverage was moderately sweet, and the aroma of the black tea wasn't entirely masked by the evaporated milk. Although it wasn't as rich in spices as the traditional Thai tea (and I didn't really expect it to be), I could detect a bit of herbal, spicy aroma.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Service was more or less efficient, and I was particularly fond of the friendly staff who initially served me. The other staff should learn from him! Pika's advice: I heard some people were impressed by the ice lemon tea. It seems like they use tea ice cubes to preserve the flavour of the tea. You may want to give it a try!

Greyhound Café

17 Canton Road
Shop OTG01, G/F Ocean Terminal
Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong
(Daily: 11.00am - 11.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]