HKG: Red Ant Restaurant

Mouth-watering baked rice with cod!

I wasn't that hungry that evening after walking around in Causeway Bay. Actually I can't remember why I was there in the first place, but anyway, I found Red Ant Restaurant which is located on the ground floor of a building which looks kinda run-down from the outside. Rest assured, the interior is decent, and I managed to have a quite dinner that evening since there weren't many people inside.

 

Baked Rice with Cod in Honey Sauce, Chopped Garlic and Salty Fish HK$98.00 (~S$16.30)
Taste: 9/10

Yes, I did mention I wasn't that hungry, but their recommended baked rice whetted my appetite; wait, it made me devour the whole thing in no time! The codfish was really tender and truly well-marinated with honey and soy sauce, if not perfectly so, which sweetness I can still vividly recall, not forgetting the fatty layer of the fish which melted in my mouth. Heavenly! It was made even more delicious with the chopped fried garlic added on top, but I couldn't really taste the salted fish. Well, it didn't really matter.

 

Club Noodle HK$48.00 (~S$8.00)
Taste: 6/10

I also tried another recommended dish which came with homemade fish balls, fish rolls, pepperoni slices, shiitake mushrooms, duck breast and vegetables. I chose the homemade noodle, as well as the spicy seafood soup, out of the few choices listed in the menu. The noodle wasn't chewy enough, and the soup was neither spicy nor bursting with seafood flavour. However, I enjoyed the juicy mushrooms, as well as the pepperoni slices and the duck breast which were pretty flavourful.

 

Warm Rich Chocolate Pudding with Custard Sauce HK$30.00 (~S$5.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

The picture in the menu gives the impression that it'd be something similar to a lava cake. Yes, it was warm, but I was kinda disappointed to find out that no chocolate oozed out when I cut the cake into two halves. To be fair, the cake was moist due to the melting chocolate inside, and pretty chocolatey, but it could be sweeter. The custard sauce was somewhat bland, although it had quite a nice milky aroma.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 4/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Service was a bit slow, and there was more than that which left me with no other choice but to give them a failing score. After asking for the bill, I waited for about 5 minutes until three staff came to me, still without the bill on their hands. They weren't able to find my order record on the computer. Subsequently, the lady, who could speak a little bit of English, then checked the cashier table and found the bill. Apparently it was already printed out (no idea as to why one of them printed the bill out earlier and left it there), which was the reason why the record was no longer there. Haizzz... Pika's advice: Quite a few people mentioned that their value-for-money lunch set meals were pretty good. You may want to try those!

Red Ant Restaurant

5 Sharp Street East
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong
(Mon-Sat: 7.30am - 12 midnight; Sun: 11.00am - 12 midnight)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)