MFM: Café Ou Mun

3Cs: creamy, cheesy codfish!

Located near Largo do Senado, the famous square in Macau which symbolises the power of the Portuguese in the past, is a small café offering a repertoire of Portuguese food. I got to know about the café just a few days before I left for Macau when I was browsing the Internet. A lot of people gave thumbs up for the food offered in the café.


Oh, I'm borrowing the IATA code for Macau International Airport, which is MFM! Pika's advice: Grab the super-saver lunch set, available from Monday to Friday! I'll tell you more about the lunch set in a minute.


Bread

Let's start with the bread, shall we? Although the bread given was quite small, it was pretty fluffy and powdery.


Chourico na Assadeira MOP 70.00 (~S$11.30)
Taste: 6/10

Apart from the lunch set, I ordered the Portuguese sausage flambé which had a nice smoky aroma, but unfortunately it was too salty for my liking. Besides that, the sausage was kinda chewy. Oh, they didn't take out the seed from each olive. By the way, actually I found a lot of Portuguese food in Macau to be pretty salty.

Let's now take a look at the Lunch Set priced at MOP 98.00 (~S$15.80) which includes an appetiser (most of the salad or soup items from the menu), a main course (most items from the menu as well) and a drink (coffee, lemon tea or mineral water). As Pikachu mentioned earlier, the word 'super-saver' best describes the lunch set. I'll show you the actual price of each of the dishes below.


Salada de Polvo (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

I chose the octopus salad which costs MOP 80.00 (~S$12.90) to help fulfil my daily vegetable requirements. The vegetables were pretty fresh, with the octopus slices cooked just right without being chewy like a rubber. The oil-based dressing, which was kinda tangy, made the salad enjoyable, but I wish they gave a bit more of it to bind everything together more thoroughly.


Bacalhau Espiritual com Camarão (Set Menu)
Taste: 9/10

If I remember correctly, I chose one of the most expensive main course dishes the other day, MOP 130.00 (~S$20.95), haha... I tried the codfish baked with mashed potatoes in cream and cheese sauce, and I was sold the moment I sank my teeth into. The potatoes weren't overly lumpy, and they blended well with the codfish which still retained its juiciness and texture. Encasing them was a layer of flavourful, not-so-salty sauce and creamy, sticky mozzarella cheese. To top it off, sautéed shrimps were added, which were crispy enough to be eaten as a whole.


Ice Coffee (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

Since many people mentioned that they enjoyed the coffee from the café, I ordered the cold version of it. Well, actually it'd be better to order the one without ice to savour the true taste of the coffee, but unfortunately the weather forced me to order something cold. True enough, the coffee was pretty strong and aromatic, and I enjoyed it till the last drop.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 4.5/10
Overall: 6.5/10

I suppose the only miss, apart from the sausage perhaps, was the service. I was served by a waitress who couldn't be bothered to take a pen and a piece of paper to jot my order down. To my annoyance, she came back to me twice to confirm my order. Moreover, I was charged MOP 30.00 (~S$4.80) more than what I was supposed to pay, but thankfully everything could be settled without any arguments, although I had to wait for quite some time. However, I was glad that the food came promptly.

Café Ou Mun

12 Travessa de S. Domingos
G/F Block A
Macau Peninsula
Macau
(Mon: 11.00am - 7.00pm; Tue-Sun: 9.00am - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]