HKG: Capital Café

Fluffy, velvety scrambled eggs to die for!

This shall be the last entry of the week since I'll be going to Shenzhen and Guangzhou over the weekend, departing early in the morning tomorrow. The day after I applied for the Chinese visa in Wan Chai, I went to Capital Café for a quick brunch. I've done a research on this eatery earlier, and I've seen many people are giving two thumbs up for many of the dishes served.


Breakfast Set HK$28.00 (~S$4.65)

The breakfast set, which is served from 7.00am to 12 noon daily, immediately caught my attention. For a small price, you'll get macaroni with ham, fried eggs, toast and coffee or HK style milk tea. Let's take a look at them one by one.


HK Style Milk Tea (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

I'll start with the milk tea. Boy, was it awesome! The tea was rich and thick (thanks to Hokkaido milk), but smooth at the same time, indeed prepared "meticulously with heart" as their slogan speaks. In addition, I was glad that the fragrance of the tea wasn't completely overwhelmed by the milk.


Macaroni and Ham (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

There wasn't anything special about the macaroni and ham in soup, but it wasn't tasteless. The macaroni were pretty much cooked till al dente. Adding lots of pepper to this dish made it taste better!


Fried Eggs & Toast (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Two eggs merged into one, and runny yolks flowed like lava as the egg white was pierced with a fork by a slight force. The bread was lightly toasted with a bit of margarine to become slightly crunchy, but not till dry.


Scrambled Eggs on Toast HK$18.00 (~S$3.00)
Taste: 8.5/10

I put this one last for a reason: people are crazy about the scrambled eggs! Of course, I'm subscribing to the well-known practice: "save the best for the last". Anyway, the scrambled eggs were also made with Hokkaido milk, and only few others could achieve the creamy, fluffy and velvety texture of the ones in Capital Café. Unlike the fried eggs, I could eat the scrambled eggs without adding any salt as they were already awesome. My only gripe would be on the bread which wasn't toasted like those in the breakfast set.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

No smiley faces seen, but service was fast and efficient. Oh, the other day I put my bag on the floor, and suddenly one of the waiters came and spoke in Cantonese, suggesting to put the bag on the chair next to me because the floor was dirty. Well, you know I'm not a Cantonese expert, but at least I got what he meant. Pika's advice: They also have scrambled eggs with the so-called "black truffles" which are almost double the price of the scrambled eggs on toast I've shown you, but many people feel that the supposedly exquisite stuff have no taste at all. But well, I'm not trying to discourage you from trying them out.

Capital Café

6 Heard Street
Shop B1, G/F Kwong Sang Hong Bldg.
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
(Daily: 7.00am - 11.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]