FRA: Beaujolais Wine Region [Feast]

Wine, women(?) and song: once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Before I start, I'm quite surprised that my first review on airline meals have attracted many readers. That means I should keep it up! Anyway, today I'm going to review a feast specially prepared by the villagers when I visited the Beaujolais wine region; a special moment during the summer school that has left an indelible mark in my memory.


Apéritifs

A variety of fruit-flavoured apéritifs was offered to whet our appetite before the big meal. Some of them were a bit too sweet for my liking, while others had a really pleasant taste. One of the most notable apéritifs the other day was the pink grapefruit one, drank with Rosé wine.


Salami & Ham

Both the salami and ham slices were really nice, and they weren't too salty.


Duck Pâté & Olive Bread

Nope, we're not talking about duck liver; the pâté (French savoury paste made of finely minced ingredients) served the other day was made of duck meat. The sensation of fatty goodness melting in my mouth was really awesome. It went well with the olive bread which was savoury.


The Big Meal

I was tempted to name the above picture "The Big Mess" :P It was my first round haha... The second round was too messy to be shown here. Well, there wasn't anything special about the big meal, but I enjoyed the creamy macaroni stuff and the chicken drumsticks! I think I ate a total of four or five drumsticks the other day!


Cream Cheese with Milk and Sugar

I really enjoyed this simple, but sumptuous dessert. The unabashed elegance of premium cream cheese and milk, balanced in taste with a tinge of sugar, made me scoop for more!


Butter Cake & Apricot

The butter cake did remind me of the cake my mom used to bake. It was mildly sweet. Also, the apricot wasn't the sweetest version I've ever had, but it was fresh.


Fruit Cocktail

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps the fruit cocktail was freshly made. It tasted really different from those canned ones.


Coffee

The coffee really helped to wash down all the food that I gobbled. Anyway, it wasn't that strong, but it was really aromatic. A block of sugar wouldn't do any harm!


Red Wine

Tada! Fancy a bowl full of red wine? We drank this together! What else could I ask for than fresh, crisp wine produced in the very same region I stepped my feet on?

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10

Since the meal was served buffet style, Melon doesn't give a rating on service. However, I have to say that the villagers there have to be the most amiable bunch of people I've ever met in my whole life. Warm and cheerful, they treated us like their buddies. Our feast was made even more enjoyable with them singing French country songs, as well as the pristine countryside set before our own eyes. Ahh, paradise! I wonder if I'll ever encounter this kind of experience again?

Pika's advice: I believe this kind of feast can be arranged for, especially when you're travelling in groups! I'll try to find out about it, and I hope you'll help me as well with this!

Beaujolais Wine Region


*Sorry, I've got no clue about the total worth of food and beverages served.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)