FRA: Dip's {CLOSED}

Unique dips by a Singaporean chef!

UPDATE (30/06/2019): The restaurant has closed down.

Alright, first of all, I guess this shall be the last review of the year. This entry on Dip's would also close the chapter on Paris for now. No worries, I'll definitely come back to Paris one day to do a food trail, especially to pâtisseries!


Believe it or not, my friends and I happened to find a restaurant with a Singaporean chef who invented a few interesting dips to go with your meat and veggies. Kinda similar to the concept of fondue, I must say. No, we didn't manage to see him/her, so perhaps you'll ask, "How do you know?" Well, the cheerful waitress serving us the other day asked where were we from. She was really excited when she knew that we came from Singapore, and she immediately told us about the Singaporean chef. When she came back with my drink and appetiser, she said "Selamat makan!" And all of us laughed heartily.

Being a big eater, I was the only one who ordered the Set Menu priced at €24.00 (~S$40.50) to taste how a complete meal would be at Dip's. My friends ordered a main course each.


Six Escargots with Red Wine Dips (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Fancy the view of six snails, each sitting on a piece of carrot? The chewy, juicy snails went really well with the sweet and sour red wine sauce. In addition, the carrot pieces were sweet  and not overcooked. were I really enjoyed the consistency of all the dips we tried the other day as they were neither too thick nor overly runny. Oh, the cereal biscuit was really crunchy.


Potato Wedges with Mayonnaise (Set Menu)
Taste: 7/10

Our source of carbohydrate served with each main course was lightly salted, and a tad oily for my liking. But the seemingly homemade mayonnaise tasted really great.


Duck Breast with Mango & Ginger Dips (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Not only for appetisers, we could also choose one type of dips for each main course. Additional and/or refill of dips will be charged separately, but I can't remember the price. Anyway, the duck was really juicy with those fat layers, but it was a tad salty on its own. However, the mango and ginger dips neutralised the saltiness with its sweet sensation, but the aroma of the ginger wasn't strong enough for my liking. Each main course also came with blanched zucchini, carrot and aubergine slices which were nice, except for the aubergine slices which were slightly overcooked.


Cocktail Maison (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

The house cocktail was a delightful marriage between red wine and berry juice (which seemed to be raspberry), resulting in a slightly sweet, tangy drink. It was actually served as an apéritif, a drink served before meal to stimulate your appetite, but honestly I dislike the idea of finishing the drink before I eat my meal, so I purposely left half of it as an after-meal drink. Oh, I guess they could reduce the amount of ice cubes.


Fresh Prawn with Avocado Dips €16.00 (~S$27.00)
Taste: 7/10

The prawns were of acceptable freshness, but they were overcooked. Also, the amount was a bit pathetic, don't you think? The avocado sauce was really yummy due to its refreshingly sour taste. Pika's advice: After trying it with others, I must say that the avocado dips went well with everything! Try this awesome dips!


Catch of the Day with Paprika & Spiced Banana Dips €12.00 (~S$20.25)
Taste: 7/10

The catch of the day was tuna, and it tasted fine, but not extraordinary. The paprika and spiced banana sauce was really unique! It exuded a strong banana flavour, and it had a nice balance of flavour. 


Rumsteack with Tarragon Dips €12.00 (~S$20.25)
Taste: 7.5/10

The beef was cooked to medium, and it was pretty juicy. Also, I guess it was cooked with basil that gave it a herby aroma. The tarragon sauce was, no doubt, full of aromatic tarragon. But it also tasted cheesy!


Waffle with Caramel & Salted Butter Dips (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

The waffle was cut into slightly thin strips for easy dipping. However, I just poured the sauce onto the plate haha... The waffle was pretty crunchy, and it was sprinkled with castor sugar which made it look appetising. The caramel and salted butter sauce was definitely finger-licking good. Somehow, it also tasted a bit like kaya jam.


Coffee €2.50 (~S$4.20)
Taste: 8/10

It wasn't the best one I've ever had, but thumbs up to this strong and bitter coffee! Someone ate the marshmallow though, so the chance to try the coffee with melted marshmallow was gone.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I guess I don't need to emphasise that the waitress the other day was polite; definitely one of the most polite waitresses I've met in Paris. Sadly, service was a bit slow, but given the good food, I shan't complain too much. I'd really love to come back and try the rest of the dips!

Dip's

62 Rue Monsieur le Prince
Paris
France
(Mon-Sat: 11.00am - 2.00pm, 7.00pm - 10.00pm; Sun: 11.00am - 2.00pm, 6.00pm - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market